Sometimes A Simple Mugful Of Fern And Moss IS ALL That Is Needed




I have been quite down and rather indifferent to a lot of things recently. I am pretty much aware that I need some kind of happy booster - to turn myself around - to be my usual cheerful self and keen on things again. 

So, I decided to get some fresh, new stuffs on my work table this morning. I went down the stairs to the garden below my home with a set of fork and spoon and an old lunch box in hand. I headed straight to the shaded, wet spots under the Manila palms where I have always sighted ferns and moss growing in abundance. I used the spoon to scrape a few patches of moss off the ground and guided them into the lunch box with the help of the fork. Then, I chose a small-sized fern, gently pulled it out from the soil with my hand and put it on top of the moss inside the lunch box to be brought home.

Back home, I took out a defective, white porcelain mug from the kitchen cabinet and filled it with some soil. I dug a small hole in the soil with the spoon and gently placed the fern into the hole. After that, I wholly-covered the surrounding bare soil with the patches of moss ( moss carpets ) using the set of fork and spoon. I spotted a worm or two wriggling on the underside of the moss. I let them be at where they were. They would not wriggle out of the mug as long as their food source is in there.  Finally, when all were done, I sprinkled some rainwater which I had collected earlier for my previously potted moss ( rainwater is best for moss growth ) onto the mugful of fern and moss. 

Then, I placed it on my work table with a smile on my face. I stepped back and admired my new, simple little creation. My heart sang a little in joy just then. Who would have thought that a simple mugful of green fern and moss could be that ' refreshing ' - to me, at least?


8 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds really good. I hope that it helps to cheer you up. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it does help! Thank you so much, Flighty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this so much Jade. Sometimes, a little fern and moss are all that's needed to get our footing again. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind comment! That's exactly the case with me. I do hope it works for others too. It's my pleasure, Dee Nash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ferns and mosses make the earth green and fresh. Little things count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutlely agree with you, meintheswim. Thank you so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! How lovely! So good they cheered you up, a wonderful idea. Here's to you feeling better, life can beat us down at times, but nature is always there to soothe our souls.Hugs to you.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So kind of you, Snowbird! Thank you so much! I'm much much better now. Really, life can beat us sometimes but luckily, family, friends and nature are always there to soothe our souls....

    ReplyDelete