Some Pretty Harvests And Plants Update


I did not have enough time to tend to my plants at my backyard last week when I went back to my holiday home and had the pumpkin plant removed at my front yard. It was not until on Wednesday, when I finally managed to go back again and do something there - SOME LONG-DUE HARVESTS. 



Like always, I had some really pretty harvests this time. Thanks to ' Mother Nature ' who never fails to take care of my plants whenever I am away. 


I had harvested...

Some Gynura bicolor leaves,



some Ocimum basilicum ( Basil ) flowers and leaves,



some insignificant, whole Amaranthus sp. ( Red and Green Amaranths ), 

and, some Ipomoea batatas ( sweet potato ) leaves.



All of which had been shared with my sisters back here in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.



Meanwhile on the same planter at my backyard....


The two Butterfly Pea ( Clitoria ternatea ) plants which I had transplanted from my eldest sister's garden last month seemed to have thrived - though they had yet to find the adjacent fence for support. And yes, I had finally made up my mind to keep one of the accidental Winter Melon ( Benincasa hispida ) plants. For I had learnt that it requires very little care to thrive and bear fruit; which would be really great for my frequently ' unattended ' garden.

The Butterfly Pea plants could be seen at the bottom left while the Winter Melon plant could be seen at the bottom right of this picture.


The Madeira Vine ( Anredera cordifolia ), which I had planted for its nutritious leaves some months back, was really taking its sweet time, it seemed - in showing off its small, fragrant, cream-white flowers which would eventually turn black - slowly, and one after another. There was no indication that it would put a stop to its flower show anytime soon. I wonder if I would ever get to harvest any of its leaves at all. Sigh. Still hopeful though. Wish me LUCK!




All for now. Thank you for reading this. Till next month... Bye!


13 comments:

  1. A most enjoyable post, and lovely pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Flighty, Thank you so much for your ever kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice harvest, it's good to see you use the basil flowers too. Gynura bicolor is such a pretty plant and I'm surprised I didn't know of it before. I see that seeds are available so I might try it though it would be an annual here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can see lots of happy vines and you have made good use of your space :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am enjoying seeing what you can grow, many of these plants would be impossible to grow here. Basil has to be nurtured in a very warm greenhouse, usually the slugs get to it before I do. A lovely post.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.s our basil has much rounder leaves, how I'd like a taste of yours!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite frequently unattended the plants all grow so green and nice. It must be the fertile soil and kind weather. The sweet potato leaves i like it best if stir fried.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shirley, thank you! The flowers were given to some friends to make tea. I agree that the Gynura bicolor plant is pretty. In fact some people grow it as an ornamental plant though I grow mine for its nutritious leaves. I guess it is possible to grow it as an annual. As it can be quite fast growing as long as you provide it with some shade and plenty of water. Perhaps I should leave some of mine to produce seeds. Then I can harvest them for you to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephanie, thank you! Indeed there are happy vines and I have really made good use of my small, little space.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Snowbird, I'm glad you enjoy seeing what I can grow here in Malaysia. Thank you! I'm sorry to learn that the slugs always get to your Basils before you do. I'm growing two types of Basils here; both have pointy leaves. But they generally taste the same to me. Well, if don't mind tasting the dried ones, I would be most happy to send some over to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi meintheswim, thank you! Yes, it must have been those. And the sweet potato leaves...I enjoyed them stir fry too. Yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your basil and sweet potato vines look very happy. I've never actually eaten sweet potato leaves but they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Phuong, thank you! They look happy indeed. And the sweet potato leaves... Oh, they don't just sound so but really are delicious... especially when stir fried... I bet you would agree with me if you ever get to try them....

    ReplyDelete