A Most Noble Sacrifice, Not A Voluntary One Though


After much self-debates, I finally had the pumpkin plant removed yesterday. There was no more reason I could give myself to retain it any longer. My hand-pollination done on one of its flowers has not worked. The need to do something for the nutrient, space and sun-deprived sweet potato and especially, turmeric plants ( that were growing on the same planter at my front yard ) was becoming more and more apparently urgent. 

A choice or decision has to be made fast. Either a plant or some plants must play ' Hero ' or ' Heroes ' ( be sacrificed to make way for, thus save all other plants ). ' Proudly ', it was decided that it ought to be the strong, long-time, space-dominating pumpkin plant. To be the first ever, ' appointed ' ( not a voluntary one ), most noble Plants Hero of my front yard planter.


The pumpkin plant before the removal. The sweet potato and turmeric plants were hidden somewhere underneath it.


It took me a long two hours or so to have its itch-inducing hairy vine and leaves removed completely. It had been tough for me. As my skin was very sensitive to its hairs. Though I had a pair of gloves on, I still got some red, itchy bumps on my hands; which slowed me down. As I couldn't let the itch passed without some scratching every now and then. Luckily it never lasts. 

The heap of the drying pumpkin plant after the removal


While having the pumpkin plant removed, I accidentally unearthed a sweet potato vine that had a small edible tuber at the end of its root. A white one that looked more like a radish to me. Though it was nothing rare to get a tuber, it wasn't something which I had expected. As I had planted them merely for their tasty leaves. Nevertheless, it was quite a pleasant surprise for me. I had it boiled and eaten later in the evening yesterday. Its texture was great though its sweetness was rather inferior.


The accidentally unearthed sweet potato tuber.


My fourth sister suggested that I should just cut its vine at various points and leave them on the planter to rot and act as my soil mulch. But since I wanted to spread coffee grounds around the nutrient deficient sweet potato and turmeric plants soonest possible, I couldn't follow. Allowing them to dry out and wither away on the planter would take some time however little. I was worried that the somewhat stunted turmeric plants couldn't wait any longer. I had to save them as soon as I could.

Hence, after the removal, I immediately fertilized each and everyone of them with lots of coffee grounds. I also gave them all, a good thorough bath and drink. For the sun was already up and it was getting really hot when I finished. Finally, when all were done, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. For I knew they could, from then on grow happily with ample nutrients, space and sun exposure.
 
One of the all-rounded fertilized turmeric plants.

Finally, there are new new hopes for the sweet potato and turmeric plants. Picture taken after the bath.


Thanks to the dear Plants Hero - The Pumpkin Plant, for its most noble sacrifice!




8 comments:

  1. It's a shame that you didn't get any pumpkins. I think that I would have done the same as you and pulled the plant up as they do take up a lot of space. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame really, Flighty. I am such an inexperienced ' pollinator '! I know I should have pulled it out long ago for good but my indecisiveness just held me back every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwh...sorry you about your pumpkin plant, I'd have done the same though. You grow turmeric.Wow! I wonder if I could, I've never seen the plant before,how interesting, but I do use it when cooking.I'm a spice lover! I can grow most peppers in the greenhouse...do you think I could grow it in an unheated greenhouse?xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. It wasn't an easy decision, Snowbird. It 'pained' me to do so. I honoured it with a 'Hero' title to 'cover' my guilt.

    Like you, I'm also a spice lover. However, this is the first time I grow one. Turmeric is the first if my previous failed chilli pepper is not counted. I started planting them in late December, 2017. My turmeric plants seemed to have grown very easily from cut rhizomes that have only one or two nodes. My eldest sister have grown them many times in her garden. She said turmeric is not a fussy plant. It just need wet, warm and well-drained compost-rich soil, adequate watering and preferably full sun. The plant could reach about 3 feet in height. The whole of the plant is edible - the fragrant leaves, the flowers and not to mention the rhizomes. Normally she harvested hers after 7 months from the day she tucked the rhizomes into the soil. Mine are apparently retarded and under nutrition now. So would probably need more time.

    I suppose you can easily grow turmeric with a little bit of help from perhaps a heat pad to warm the soil if you start growing it in the winter months as is suggested here :

    https://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/page/TopofTheCrops-Turmeric .

    And finally, should you try to grow one, GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the advice! I will certainly give it a whirl!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are welcome, Snowbird. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumpkin shoot makes nice clear vegetable soup.
    Your tumeric plant look good. The leaves can be used to flavour chicken dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a waste! I never know their shoots can be eaten. Would definitely love to try them someday. Thank you so much meintheswim! Ha ha! Pictures can be very deceiving sometimes. I have never used turmeric leaves in my cooking before. I wonder if they can be used to flavour beancurd or tempeh as well...

    ReplyDelete