Sweet Potatoes Again!



The recent dry and super hot days had my water-loving Sweet Potato ( Ipomoea batatas ) vines on the front planter looking extremely sad and ' thirsty ' when I returned to my home in Ipoh after my year-end retreat at a nearby Buddhist Society was over the other day. The pitiful sight of them had me wanted to pick up the water hose immediately and give them all a real good bath and drink. But, considering the fact that they were already five months old, I decided to have them all, removed and their edible enlarged roots ( sweet potatoes ), dug up instead. Before I had the whole planter, with the newly-planted Sweet Potato cuttings and the three, five months old Tapioca ( Manihot esculenta ) plants in it, thoroughly watered.





The dug up sweet potatoes weigh a mere 840 grams this time ( about half less than the last time ) but I am quite contented nevertheless. Because I had much of their leaves harvested and consumed this past five months. So the worth of growing the vines were definitely no less.

Yesterday, I had them all ( the sweet potatoes ) cleaned and kept inside the refrigerator for sweet soup-making on Chinese New Year day which is not too far off. 

Till then only, could I get to have a taste them! Oh, how I wish now, that time COULD FLY!







ALL FOR NOW! THANK YOU FOR READING THIS! BYE!





6 comments:

  1. I don't think that I've ever knowingly eaten sweet potatoes. Some people grow them here, often with limited success. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love them for sure, Flighty, if you ever get to eat then! They are nice to eat even on their own.
      I guess the reason why they are not so popular among gardeners in the UK are because they need at least 4 months of hot sun to do well and lots and lots of watering.

      Delete
  2. They do look good and I'm sure they'll make a delicious soup! I love sweet potato fries, but now you have me wanting to make that soup.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think and hope so too, Snowbird! Ha ha! Maybe you should really try making soup with them!

      Delete
  3. It's awesome that you are able to raise your own sweet potatoes. They look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheryl, I am now growing for them again on the same planter!
      I do hope they are as they look! Thank you!

      Delete