Garden Update - September 2018


Yesterday, I got to spend about two hours or so in my small garden in Ipoh. It was a rather clear, hot and sunny morning. Much in contrary to the state of the day before. When the sky was cloudy and the weather was cooler. And when there was an indication of a much longed for stuff ( rain ) going to fall down from it. Though before too long ( towards evening time ), as luck would have it, the sky was suddenly, thoroughly cleared. And the sun was felt. Hot. The wind had given the sky a good ' sweep '. The clouds, along with the much longed for RAIN, were swept off to some much luckier places. Showering some much luckier plants.


Oh, how I envy those! My garden had not got to enjoy even the slightest drop of it!


" I can't just wait for it to fall down from the sky. " I told myself, after I had had a quick look around and weeding done at both my back and front yards yesterday morning. " I must not let my plants go thirsty for another day! "


Instantaneously, I reached for the long rubber hose that was waiting to be of service at a corner. I turned the tap on. And gave my whole garden that stuff equivalent that it had missed the day before. I did that for quite a while until I judged it had had enough.



Before the watering ...



AT MY BACKYARD PLANTER, ...



I had weeded out all the Green Amaranths ( Amaranthus sp. ) that had invaded part of my planter while I was away. Since they were young and edible, they did not have to go into my compost bin. I made a simple delicious soup out of them for lunch today. 




There were plenty of newly-germinated and healthy, young Thai Basil ( Ocimum basilicum ) plants on the planter. So, I unhesitatingly, had three, year-old and very woody ones removed. Nothing that I grow is to be wasted. Thus, no exception with the young shoots and leaves of these old, unwanted plants. They were harvested, packed and stuffed into my small fridge for later cooking with tomatoes and bean curds ( Tofu ) or eggs.




( FROM MY OBSERVATIONS .... )



The Red Stem Malabar Ceylon Spinach ( Basella rubra ) plants must have loved the recent rainy weather. They had grown to be very happy and healthy looking plants again, after Jane had all their leaves harvested sometime back. I will let them grow a few more days before I go back again and harvest their leaves. I am thinking of giving them to my sisters in Kuala Lumpur who love to enjoy them in salted egg soup.




The Gynura bicolor plants must have enjoyed the rainy weather too. Plus less sun exposure during this time of year at my northwest facing backyard. They were all starting to look great again, just like how they used to look towards year end last year.




The ' five-lobed ' Sweet Potato ( Ipomoea batatas ) vines which I had started from kitchen scraps sometime back, had all leafed and showed signs of good growth. 




The ginger ( Zingiber officinale ) plants might already have some gingers down there. Perhaps I should seriously have a look at them when I go back again a few days from now.





The Butterfly Pea ( Clitoria ternatea ) vines were looking great as usual with lots of beautiful, bright indigo blue blooms. Everywhere. 





AT MY FRONT YARD PLANTER, ...



( FROM MY OBSERVATIONS .... )



The Turmeric ( Cucurma longa ) plant seemed to have failed to revive. After it had had the shock of its life when Jane had it pulled out and relocated sometime back. But I was not going to give up on it yet!

The Sweet Potato ( Ipomoea batatas ) vines which Jane had harvested until ' bald ' sometime back had all grown back. Though not really lush yet.




Nine out of eleven Radish Raphanus sativus ) plants already have radishes that were visible above the soil. When I gently dug a bit into the soil around one of them, I found that its size was actually double what I saw of it above the soil. Comparing them with store sold ones, I could tell that they were good enough for harvest anytime. However, I would wait until I go back again a few days from now. Meanwhile, I have to think how I should distribute all these radishes!





All for now. Thank you for reading this. Bye!





8 comments:

  1. An enjoyable post and good pictures. There still hasn't been much rain here either but thankfully there are few plants that now need watering regularly.
    Happy gardening. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your ever kind comments, Flighty! Happy to know that less rain isn't quite a bother to you nowadays as it had during your long, dry summer days. Thanks and happy gardening to you too!

      Delete
  2. We had a drought this summer, so I understand how you must yearn for rain! A wonderful variety of plants, I enjoy hearing about the recipes too and what you use them for. I am looking forward to seeing the ginger, I've never seen it actually growing. The butterfly pea is just lovely....I do hope the plants in the front planter recover!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, perhaps I shouldn't sound so disappointed at all for at least we have some rain here on every alternate or few days... Nothing compared to what you have experienced this past summer!
      I'm so glad you enjoyed them, Snowbird!
      I've just googled about harvesting ginger and found that it would need at least six months or more to get nice, old ginger. So, mine is still too early for that now. But I will write an update on it for sure when the time comes.
      With your kind hope, my turmeric plant in my front planter would surely recover! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. The raddish looks so tempting. I would have pulled it out.

    The purple pea flower look so decorative. They make beautiful food colour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do tempt me so too, meintheswim. But I try not to let them until it is the best time to do so.
      They are. Even my neighbours would come and admire them sometimes. Oh, I do love to use them in colouring my rice! Looks appetizing though not really add flavour.

      Delete
  4. I envy your Thai Basil, such a wonderful flavour. I love that Butterfly Pea, what a beautiful colour. It's enjoyable to see what people are growing in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you can try growing some next summer, Gwenfar's Garden. They are such easy to grow plants.
      I'm so glad you love the flowers!
      Thank you so much for stopping by to see what I'm growing here in Malaysia! And so glad that you found it enjoyable!

      Delete