Garden Update - March 2019


These days, I travel quite often back to my home in Ipoh. Often, with a purpose. This time, it is for the yearly ' tomb-sweeping ' and / or merely paying respects to our deceased family members and relatives at the Chinese Cemetery in Batu Gajah and at the Sam Poh Tong Columbarium in Ipoh.


So, here I am. Again. At my home in Ipoh.




AT MY BACKYARD ....




Ornamentals Corner ( Potted )



Allamanda cathartica.

The only plant that is flowering here now is the Yellow Allamanda or Golden Trumpet ( Allamanda cathartica ). 


From top : Lantana camara, Antigonon leptopus and Plumeria rubra.

The pink Air Mata Pengantin or Bride's Tears or Chain of Love or Coral Vine or Mexican Creeper ( Antigonon leptopus ) and the multi-coloured Lantana ( Lantana camara ) which I had grown from cuttings taken from the wild back in early January seem to take forever to flower while the Frangipani ( Plumeria rubra ) is still enjoying its ' Leafing Retreat ' after its most recent ' October - December 2018 Flower Show '.


Clockwise from left : Jasminum sambac, White Clitoria ternatea and Dark Pink and White Vinca rosea.

Recently, I have added three types of ornamental plants to this corner of my backyard. They are the Jasmine ( Jasminum sambac ) which I have grown from stem cuttings taken from a friend's house, the White Butterfly Pea ( Clitoria ternatea ) which I have grown from seeds that were posted to me from Singapore by a very generous fellow member of a Facebook gardening group and the Dark Pink and White Periwinkle ( Vinca rosea ) which I have grown from tiny seedlings given to me by two very kind neighbours, ALL of which have yet to either establish or reach their flowering stage.




Edibles Corner ( Potted )



Clockwise from top left: Aloe vera, Citrus hystrix, Murraya koenigii, Cucurbita pepo and Capsicum annuum ( middle ).

The Kafir Lime ( Citrus hystrix ) and the Pumpkin Vines ( Cucurbita pepo ) are growing rather fast, unlike the though healthy-looking Aloe Vera and the Curry Leaf Tree ( Murraya koenigii ) which seem to take forever to grow just a small bit. The Chilli Plant ( Capsicum annuum ) may have suffered non-stop from mealy bug attacks since I have it planted into my first ever pot of compost but there it is, hanging on still, tall and strong! And guess what, if you do zoom in for a closer look of the plant, you would see that it is about to fruit soon!


Basella alba in the same pot as Blue, Multi-layer Flower Clitoria ternatea.

Of all my potted edibles, this self-seeded Red Stem Malabar Ceylon Spinach ( Basella alba ) that shares the same pot with the Blue, Multi-layer Flower Butterfly Pea Vine ( Clitoria ternatea ) is my best-loved ornamental edibles. I do not think I could ever bring my hands to harvest its beautiful leaves anytime now, just for that split-second of taste bud enjoyment. 


From top: Newly-seeded pot and Cucumis melo? seedlings.

The last time I came back, I had another eight, soil-filled pots added here so I could grow more edibles. One of which, I had sown with Japanese Melon Cucumis melo? ) seeds that were posted to me from Singapore by a very generous fellow member of a Facebook gardening group right then, and most of which have since, germinated. The rest of the pots are now sown with a variety of vegetable seeds which Fourth Sis had bought for me when I first started this garden back in September, 2017.




Edibles Corner ( Ground Level Planter )



Blue Clitoria ternatea Vines.

The Blue Butterfly Pea Vines ( Clitoria ternatea ) are not in their best of look and shape now. They have been so for quite some time. I am thinking of giving them a good trimming. But that would mean there would be no flowers before they grow back. It is all right if there is none for me to harvest. My main concern is the pair of Sunbirds that frequented and feed on their flowers' nectar or pollen every day. Would they be disappointed to find none the next time they come? Because of this, I am still undecided as to whether trim them down or let them be as they are now.


Clockwise from top left : Cucurma longa, Anredera cordifolia, Ocimum basilicum, Piper sarmentosum, Gynura bicolor and Zingiber officinale.

As always, the Turmeric ( Cucurma longa ), Madeira Vine ( Anredera cordifolia ), Thai Basil ( Ocimum basilicum ), Daun Kaduk ( Piper sarmentosum ), Okinawan Spinach ( Gynura bicolor ) and Ginger ( Zingiber officinale ) are all doing quite well on the long ground level planter. 


Raphanus sativus.

The Radish Plants ( Rahphanus sativus ) that unfortunately fail to produce radishes, continue to grow and send out new leaves. One of them that grows among the Thai Basils ( Ocimum basilicum ) is even flowering now. I can expect to harvest some seeds instead, which is not a bad thing after all.


From Top: Zingiber officinale and Basella alba.

I am happy to see all eight shrunk Ginger ( Zingiber officinale ) scraps which I had buried under the ground back in early March having sprouted, pushed through the soil and made their first appearances on the planter. I am also very happy to see lots of self-seeded Red Stem Malabar Ceylon Spinach ( Basella alba ) dotting almost every where on the planter.





AT MY FRONT YARD ....




Edibles ( Ground Level Planter )



From top: Ipomoea batatas and Ocimum basilicum.

The Sweet Potato Vines ( Ipomoea batatas ) which I am growing for their sweet potatoes here are starting to grow well and spread far after a somewhat pitiably slow initial growth period. Meanwhile on the same planter, a volunteer Thai Basil ( Ocimum basilicum ) has suddenly grown into a rather big bush now and is flowering. I will let the flowers mature so I could have their seeds. I have too much of its leaves that I do not want any more to do with them these days.




ALL FOR NOW! THANK YOU FOR READING THIS! TILL NEXT TIME! BYE!



6 comments:

  1. It's good to read about, and look at pictures, of plants that are generally unfamiliar to me. They all look to be growing well with plenty of new growth. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading this, Flighty!
      You're right. Most of them are.

      Delete
  2. You got quite a good collection of plants and their bio names are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, meintheswim! Ha ha, I think so too!

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, so many exotic plants, loving your new additions! Every time I read your posts I am transported back to your beautiful Malaysia, how I miss it and all it's stunning plants,I cannot imagine being able to grow Fragipani, one of my favourite plants ever! I love how you worry about the birds, I'm the same! Looking forward to seeing how all these plants grow, especially the new new ones and seedlings.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Snowbird, thank you so much for always showing interest in my plants and your ever kind comments! Frangipani is one of my favourites too, though the one I'm having now is not my favourite most variety. ( I love the pure white flower variety best, the one people usually plant at cemeteries ).

      Delete