Sauropus Spatulifolius or Dragon's Tongue - In My Childhood Garden





Since I was very young, we had this herb ( Dragon's Tongue or Sauropus Spatulifolius ) planted in our garden. My grandmother was the one who brought this plant home. My mum used to boil it's leaves in water with 'Luo Han Guo or monk fruit - Siratia grosvenorii'  for us to drink every now and then. She said it is very good for our lungs. We used to use a pair of scissors to harvest the leaves when it had grown to be a lot and let our mum made us the soup. As we had it planted next to the carpet grass ( Zoysia sp. ), my mum would trim the grass very low in order to let the plant get enough sunlight. She would water it everyday so that the leaves would be nice. My mum took good care of it. Sometimes, we had so much supply that our neighbours and relatives would come and get it from us. After my mum passed away few years back, the plant withered and almost died for about one year for unknown reason as though it was also mourning over the loss of her. After that, it grew back again, regaining it's past glory. Today, this plant is still surviving well in our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment