Garden Update ( Edibles ) - November, 2018


It has been weeks since I last went back to my home in Ipoh. Predictably, given the recent frequent rain we are having, I was greeted with jungles of lush growing plants, both desired and non-desired - almost equally much in volume, as I stepped into my small garden there this past Sunday.



At the backyard ( where the long planter of edibles were )  ..., 


The Butterfly Pea ( Clitoria ternatea ), Ginger ( Zingiber officinale ), Gynura bicolor, Radish ( Raphanus sativus ), Red Stem Malabar Ceylon Sipnach ( Basella alba ), Sweet Potato ( Ipomoea batatas ) and Thai Basil ( Ocimum basilicum ) plants, and all others ( unidentified weeds ) that dotted around the planter, have all shown exceptional love for the recent wet weather.

They have all progressed incredibly much in the space of just weeks - with the Butterfly Pea vines, being the most noticeable ones of all. Not only have they invaded nearly one third of the wire mesh fence area, but have proceeded to conquer the adjacent Telecom's wire tower right outside the fence Something which I was most please to see. As I have always wanted them to not only block views from my neighbours for privacy purpose, but to also beautify the fence and its surroundings.

What surprised me the most was the Madeira Vine ( Anredera cordifolia ), which I had given up hope on and removed from the planter many months back. It has unexpectedly made a comeback, with its, at least three, new strong-looking babies that have ' self-regenerated ' on and near the pebble stone area of the planter.


Pictures of the backyard's planter of edibles, taken after I have had partial weeding done.




Meanwhile, at the front yard planter ...,


It seemed that weeds of all kinds were having a BIG party or kind, to celebrate the recent rainy weather. They were seen aggressively poking their ugly ( I am sorry to describe them so ) heads up everywhere on the planter. 

The poor, newly-germinated Radish seedlings which I have seeded weeks back after the harvest of my radishes, were nowhere to be seen. The space where they were supposed to be, was all occupied by ' the party guys '. Wish me luck that they thrive anyway!

It was lucky though, that the Sweet Potato vines were not, in the least affected. They seemed to be growing ever carefree and strong. Some were even flowering. Their beautiful, purple, trumpet-like blooms never go unnoticed.

Regardless of the advancing weeds, the Turmeric ( Cucurma longa ) plant has surprisingly sprung back to life, after a somewhat ' dead ' period. It must have loved the recent rainy weather too.


Pictures of the front yard planter.




I have yet to do anything at my small garden this time other than a little weeding at the backyard. As I had to leave on Monday morning.


More updates soon ... but till I go back again ... Most probably sometime next week ... 


Thank you for reading this! BYE!



6 comments:

  1. Good post and pictures. Your comments about the weeds had me nodding in agreement and smiling. Happy gardening. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flighty, for your ever kind comments! Ha ha ! I guess most gardeners would agree too, wouldn't they?
      Thanks and same to you!

      Delete
  2. It is a wonder weeds will always grow well and flourish in any kind of conditions but not those plants that we really want them grow, so fussy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, meintheswim! I'd like to think nature wants to test our determination to grow things. So it lets the weeds get in the way, and see if we would just give up or overcome them?

      Delete
  3. Oh...weeds! Sighs, we never seem to get rid of them! Wonderful seeing all that luscious growth, loved that bloom, what a gorgeous colour. It's astonishing what a little rain can do isn't it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly how I feel, Snowbird.
      Thank you so much for your ever kind comments!
      Yes. Couldn't agree less. It's most welcome, though I have to deal with more weeds after that. My garden is fully dependent on it as I'm seldom around to give it the shower it needs.

      Delete