Effective Microorganism for Plants and Soils - YEAST


Back in September, me and Eldest Sis, along with many other keen gardeners, attended a free gardening course on How To Make Microbial Soils, conducted by and held at the Department of Urban Farming, Putrajaya. During the course, we were being enlightened on the many benefits of using effective microorganisms ( EM ) in boosting plant growth, accelerating composting process and improving soil condition. There, we were showed and taught how we can easily multiply those EM in our very own homes and apply them to our gardens.

That same day, when the feeling of excitement was greatest most. I started off to multiply them ( the EM ) right away, the minute I got home. With only one type of readily available ingredient - the slices of white bread, at hand, I was all set to get at least one type of the EM first - YEAST.

I thought it would be better for me to play with a small amount first. Thus, I used only one slice of white bread. I had it plunged into a half litre soft, plastic water bottle which I had earlier pre-filled with non-chlorinated water, before I had it ( the bottle ) loosely capped ( to allow for gas escape, if any, that may result from the yeasts' activities ) and finally, let it sit for about 24 hours at a dark corner in my kitchen.

 .. oh, how I had hoped the clock could tick faster! ...

The next day, when it was about time, at the 22nd. hour or so, I had the plastic bottle of bread in water, which I supposed, should already have dense population of yeasts, brought to Fourth Sis's apartment to test out. There, I had its water filtered out and selectively, sprinkled and watered onto as many or as much of her plants and soils as possible, until finished. 

Finally, though I managed to have only two types of plants and soils in two pot planters tested with the yeast water, it was still sufficient for me to tell if it was effective at all in boosting the growth of the plants. Given the result was far too obvious to doubt if it could have been just because of luck or anything else. As both the plants had almost exponential growth in terms of number and size of leaves, in just a few days time - something that had never happened before however much I fertilised them.


See evidences below :


1) Ceylon Spinach  ( Basella alba )




2) Chayote Gourd Vine ( Sechium edule )




Sometimes, a tiny bit of success like this can make me feel like a great gardener! ๐Ÿ˜€

Many thanks to the Department of Urban Farming, Putrajaya for conducting this most invaluable course. I believe not only me but all of us have learnt a lot that day!



NOTES : 

1) Yeasts do not only help in breaking down the toughest of organic matters in soils but are able to boost root growth in plants. Thus, making them able to absorb more nutrients and so, fast growth.

2) However, if there is little or no nutrients in soils, yeasts could result in nutrient deficiencies in plants as the abundance of growth must always have abundant nutrient supplies to enable healthy growth.

3) Yeasts are in fact everywhere around us. So, not only bread contains them.



10 comments:

  1. Wow! This is fantastic! There's another little project for me. Thanks for sharing. You are indeed a great gardener!
    Last year I decided to make small homes for insects in the hope that encouraging life will benefit the soil and the plants. I did not monitor the effects but I believe I have helped rather than hinder.
    Beir bua, Jade! ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and you are welcome, Padraig! I'm glad you like it and wish you success! Ha ha, I do hope I'm one! I've learnt a lot other like multiplying beneficial bacteria etc as well but have yet to try them out.
      I believe so too about your insect project!

      Delete
  2. An interesting post. It's good that you enjoyed the course, and had such success afterwards when you put what you learnt into practise. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your ever kind comment, Flighty! I'm so glad to have attended the course and put at least one of what I've learnt into practice. Though I've yet to find the mood and time to try all others! ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  3. Hi Jade,

    I have been looking up & down for gardening course which can teach about composting, grafting, a - z,etc. But most important the course should come together with hands on practice.

    Do you mind to share more information with me? My email address is: markhan5151@gmail.com

    Thank you in advance!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, Thanks for asking! No problem. I would be happy to update you on all future gardening courses or workshops known to me. Until you think you have had enough.๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  4. I do not know what to do to boost plant growth except to water and sometimes apply fertilizer. Know nothing about EM to improve soil condition.
    Thanks for sharing info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, meintheswim! You can try this in addition to the fertilizers you apply. You would be able to see the difference! The officer who taught us this said he applied it on his orchid plants and they have lots and lots of new babies!

      Delete
  5. That is utterly fascinating! You really can see the sudden growth! I must give this a go. What an interesting course!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy trying, if you would, Snowbird! You would not be disappointed for sure!

      Delete